GD12 – Flint Firebirds vs. Kitchener Rangers – December 8, 2017
Friday, December 8, 2017 – Flint Firebirds (9-17-2-0) vs. Kitchener Rangers (18-10-2-0) – 7:30pm
Home Game: 15 Season Game: 31
12 THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE TONIGHT’S GAME
Compiled by: Alyscia Warner, Communications Manager
1) Tonight marks the third of four meetings of the regular season between the Flint Firebirds and Kitchener Rangers. The Rangers and Firebirds each have one 5-3 road win this season.
2) The Rangers saw a three-game win streak snapped at the hands of the Windsor Spitfires on Tuesday night following an 8-5 loss. It was the second time Kitchener surrendered eight goals this season after an 8-2 loss to the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds on November 24.
3) The Flint Firebirds have registered four wins since October 21, but two of those four wins have come in their three December games. (Oct. 21, Nov. 15, Dec. 1, Dec. 3)
4) Kitchener has scored 25 more goals than Flint, and has surrendered 36 fewer goals. The Rangers have played two more games.
5) Rangers’ alternate captain Adam Mascherin is on a five-game goal scoring streak, tallying a total of eight goals and nine points in that span. He registered his first career OHL hat trick in the Rangers’ last game on Tuesday vs. the Spitfires.
6) The Kitchener Rangers home power play is 5th in the OHL, executing at a 25.4% efficiency (15-for-59). Their home penalty kill has dipped to 17th overall at 74.6% (44-for-59).
7) The Flint Firebirds road power play ranks 17th at 14.3% (8-for-56), while their road penalty kill is ranked 18th at 72.0% (36-for-50).
8) Greg Meireles will centre the Rangers’ top line tonight between Adam Mascherin and Kole Sherwood.
9) Flint has led after 40 minutes just four times this season; winning three games and dropping one. They’ve been tied after 40 minutes six times, boasting a 4-1-1-0 record.
10) The Firebirds like to keep things close: They’ve been involved in six one-goal games this season, going undefeated in regulation with a record of 4-0-2-0.
11) The most power play goals in a game this season for Flint (3) came opening night vs. the Rangers. The three third-period goals Kitchener scored against Flint on October 15 matches a season high for the Blueshirts for goals in the final frame.
12) The Rangers are 10-0-0-0 when leading after the first period, and 11-1-0-0 when leading after two.