GD12 – Flint Firebirds vs. Kitchener Rangers – Nov. 4, 2016
Friday, November 4, 2016 – Flint Firebirds (8-7-0-1) vs. Kitchener Rangers (10-4-0-1) – 7:30pm
Home Game: 8 Season Game: 16
12 THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE TONIGHT’S GAME
1) Tonight marks the second of four meetings between the Flint Firebirds and Kitchener Rangers this season, and the last time the Firebirds will visit the Aud. The first meeting was the Rangers’ home and season opener, a 4-2 win over the Firebirds on September 23.
2) Defenceman Frank Hora makes his regular season debut tonight for the Rangers. The fourth year rearguard from Cheektowaga, NY signed a 25-game PTO with the AHL’s Cleveland Monsters and registered one assist in three games played with the Columbus Blue Jackets affiliate.
3) Tonight also marks the return of Rangers goaltender Luke Opilka, who will get the start between the pipes. In 44 games played in the 2015-16 regular season, Opilka posted a 27-11-3-2 record with a 2.70 GAA, .906 SV% and three shutouts. His last win was on March 12, 2016 over the Flint Firebirds, making 29 saves.
4) Rangers winger Darby Llewellyn will play his 257th regular season game for the Rangers tonight, moving into a tie with Serge Payer for 8th on the all-time list.
5) Rangers winger Jeremy Bracco is on a season long 12-game point streak, registering 25 points (9G, 16A) in that span. Firebirds centre Ryan Moore enters tonight on a seven-game goal streak dating back to September 24.
6) Rangers’ centre Mason Kohn is six points away from 100 career regular season points (35G, 59A = 94 points in 188 games played).
7) Kitchener has scored the game’s opening goal in nine of 15 games this season, going 5-4 in that span. They are 5-1 when allowing the first goal of the game. The Firebirds have a record of 6-4 when scoring first. They are 2-4 when allowing the first goal.
8) Rangers’ winger Adam Mascherin is second in the league in points with 27 (9G, 18A), and leads the OHL in power play goals with six. Kitchener’s Jeremy Bracco sits fifth in points with 25, while Flint’s Ryan Moore is ranked sixth with 24 points.
9) Greg Meireles leads the OHL in rookie scoring with 17 points (5G, 12A) in 15 games played. Flint’s Ty Dellandrea leads Firebirds rookies with nine points (5G, 4A) in nine games played.
10) Of Jeremy Bracco’s 30 career regular season goals for the Rangers, only four were scored with the man advantage. (25 even strength, one shorthanded.)
11) Prior to Adam Mascherin’s highlight-reel overtime winner last Sunday versus the Saginaw Spirit, his previous four goals all came on the power play.
12) The Flint Firebirds are 2-5-0-1 this season on the road. The Kitchener Rangers are yet to be defeated in regulation on home ice, going 6-0-0-1 at the Aud.