GD12 – Barrie Colts vs. Kitchener Rangers – Jan. 13, 2017
Friday, January 13, 2017 – Barrie Colts (12-22-3-1) vs. Kitchener Rangers (22-14-2-2) – 7:30pm
Home Game: 20 Season Game: 40
12 THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE TONIGHT’S GAME
1) Tonight marks the second of two meetings between the Kitchener Rangers and Barrie Colts this season. The first meeting between the two teams was a 6-3 win by the Colts at the BMC on October 8th. The Colts scored twice in the empty net in the final 1:30 of the 3rd period.
2) The Kitchener Rangers boast the league’s best home power play, executing at 27.6%. Their 24 goals at home on the power play are the most in the OHL. Kitchener’s home PK is 14th at 80.5%.
3) The Colts have the OHL’s second worst road power play (19th), operating at 11.7%. Their road penalty kill, however, is 4th overall and executing at 85.7%.
4) The Rangers come into tonight’s game having lost four straight games (0-2-1-1) for the first time this season. They’ll try to break that trend on what is a busy night in the OHL – the only night this season that all 20 teams are in action.
5) Prior to last night’s game vs. the Spitfires, the Rangers encouraged new teammates and former Spits, Andrew Burns and Cole Carter, to take to the ice alone for a few laps in warm-up before the first game in their old rink. Tonight will mark the debut of Burns and Carter on home ice as members of the Rangers.
6) The Rangers have scored 52 more goals than the Colts this season, but have only surrendered 12 fewer.
7) Rangers defenceman Elijah Roberts is playing in his 100th career regular season game as a member of the Rangers.
8) Rangers’ Adam Mascherin ranks second in the OHL in points (68), just one point behind league leader Alex DeBrincat (ER). His 41 assists tie him for first in the OHL with Erie’s Taylor Raddysh. Mascherin and teammate Connor Bunnaman are two of three players tied for the league lead in power play goals with 11. (Logan DeNoble, PBO)
9) Kitchener has scored the game’s opening goal in 24 of 40 games this season, going 15-9 in that span. They are 7-9 when allowing the first goal of the game. The Colts have a record of 9-3 when scoring first. They are 3-23 when allowing the first goal.
10) Mascherin (T-49th) has cracked the Top-50 in all-time regular season points as a member of the Rangers, registering 74 goals and 178 points in 166 regular season games.
11) The Barrie Colts are 1-7-1-0 vs. Midwest Division teams this season. Their lone win is vs. the Rangers.
12) The Colts are 7-11-1-0 this season on the road. The Kitchener Rangers are 12-5-1-1 at the Aud.