GD12 – Mississauga Steelheads vs. Kitchener Rangers – Dec. 7, 2016
Wednesday, December 7, 2016 – Mississauga Steelheads (7-14-3-3) vs. Kitchener Rangers (17-8-1-1) – 7pm
Home Game: 14 Season Game: 28
12 THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE TONIGHT’S GAME
1) Today marks the second of two meetings this season between the Mississauga Steelheads and Kitchener Rangers. The Rangers defeated the Steelheads 3-2 in overtime at the Hershey Centre on October 23.
2) The Kitchener Rangers boast the fifth best home PP in the league, executing at 24.6%. Their 16 goals at home on the power play are the most in the OHL. Kitchener’s home PK has dropped to 13th at 81.1%.
3) The Mississauga Steelheads’ road PP is ranked 13th in the league at just 14.5%. Their road PK is 16th, coming in at 78.8%.
4) Spencer Watson is expected to make both his Mississauga Steelheads and OHL season debut tonight. The fifth year OA registered 119 goals and 248 points in 233 regular season games as a member of the Kingston Frontenacs before being acquired by the Steelheads in the off-season for two second round picks, a third round pick, and a conditional seventh round pick.
5) Rangers winger Jeremy Bracco is on a season long 24-game point streak, registering 49 points (16G, 33A) in that span. It is the longest point streak in the OHL this season.
6) Rangers centre Mason Kohn is two points away from 100 career regular season points (37G, 61A). Both he and Rangers captain Frank Hora played in their 200th regular season game on Saturday afternoon in Ottawa.
7) Tonight is the Rangers’ 22nd annual Teddy Bear Toss. Connor Bunnaman scored last year’s teddy bear goal at 12:51 of the first period en route to a hat-trick performance in a 5-2 win over the Guelph Storm. A complete list of teddy bear goal scorers is included in this kit.
8) The Rangers have scored the third most goals in the Ontario Hockey League with 115. The Steelheads have surrendered the most goals against this season at 120.
9) Kitchener has scored the game’s opening goal in 17 of 27 games this season, going 11-6 in that span. They are 6-4 when allowing the first goal of the game. The Steelheads have a record of 3-8 when scoring first. They are 4-12 when allowing the first goal.
10) Greg Meireles’ 17 assists and 24 points are tops in the league among rookies.
11) Adam Mascherin is currently riding a 12-game point streak (12G, 8A), and has points in all but two games played this season. He has registered points in all 12 games he’s played at the Aud (11G, 13A = 24). He is tied for the league lead in power play goals with nine.
12) The Mississauga Steelheads are 3-7-1-2 this season on the road. The Kitchener Rangers are 9-3-0-1 at the Aud.