Sunday, January 6, 2017 – Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (27-9-2-0) vs. Kitchener Rangers (22-12-1-1) – 7:30pm
Home Game: 19 Season Game: 37
12 THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE TONIGHT’S GAME
1) Today marks the first of six meetings between the Kitchener Rangers and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
2) The Kitchener Rangers boast the 4th best home power play in the league, executing at 25.3%. Their 21 goals at home on the power play are the second most in the OHL. Kitchener’s home PK has dropped to 15th at 79.5%.
3) The Greyhounds have the OHL’s second best road penalty kill, operating at an 87.8% efficiency. Their road power play, however, has struggled coming in 12th overall and executing at just 15.8%.
4) The Rangers are looking to win three straight games for the first time since November 17, 18 and 20.
5) Each team had one player away at World Junior competition. Rangers’ Jeremy Bracco was a member of the gold medal winning Team USA, while Blake Speers of the Greyhounds was a member of the silver medalists, Team Canada.
6) The Greyhounds had a five-game win streak snapped at the hands of the Owen Sound Attack in their most recent game on January 4th.
7) Rangers’ Nick McHugh leads the OHL in shooting percentage. (Eight goals, 27 shots. 29.6% efficiency.)
8) Rangers’ Adam Mascherin ranks second in the OHL in points (61) and third in goals (26). Mascherin’s ten power play goals are a league best in that category.
9) Kitchener has scored the game’s opening goal in 22 of 36 games this season, going 15-7 in that span. They are 7-7 when allowing the first goal of the game. The Greyhounds have a record of 20-4 when scoring first. They are 7-7 when allowing the first goal.
10) The Soo is 5-3-0-0 vs. Midwest Division teams so far this season. The Rangers are 9-4-1-0 vs. the West Division.
11) Rangers’ defenceman Giovanni Vallati leads all OHL rookies in plus/minus with +14.
12) The Greyhounds are 17-4-0-0 this season on the road. The Kitchener Rangers are 12-5-0-1 at the Aud.