Final: Rangers 3, Attack 4

Owen Sound, ON.: The Rangers (17-20-3-0) traveled north to face the Attack (22-15-1-2) for the third time since the winter break and for the first time this season, Owen Sound was able to sneak out a win over Kitchener despite being outshot 38-21.

Jonathan Yantsis scored two goals on the night, bringing his goal total to 28 on the year, and Greg Meireles earned to assists in the loss.


It was at 9:29 of the first period that the action on the scoresheet began. German native Manuel Alberg scored his first Ontario Hockey League goal and that put the home side up 1-0.

Donovan Sebrango took a delay of game penalty at 13:42 for flipping the puck over the glass and into the seats at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. The Owen Sound powerplay took over and Brady Lyle netted his eighth of the season to give the Attack a 2-0 lead at 15:18.

As the first period was winding down, Jonathan Yantsis, with help from, Greg Meireles, scored his 27th goal of the season to bring the Rangers within one, 2-1.

However, just 17 seconds later, a Kaleb Pearson shot snuck through the five-hole of Lucas Pfeil to make it 3-1 with 33.1 seconds remaining in the first.

The period would come to an end with the Attack ahead in shots, 9-8.

The middle frame would begin with Luke Richardson replacing Pfeil in net. Early in the period, a Greg Meireles backhand shot from Mack Duzda’s left-side resulted in a rebound that ended up on the stick of Yantsis who made good on the opportunity to net his second of the night and 28th of the season to shrink the Attack lead to 3-2 at 1:13.

At 14:45 of the middle frame, Andrew Perrott scored his first goal of the season to once again restore the two-goal advantage for the Attack.

It was 4-2 heading into the 3rd period and the Rangers led in shots, 20-17.

At the midway point of the third period, Joseph Garreffa, on assists by Kyle Gentles and Ryan Stepien,  pulled the Rangers within one for the third time on the night on number four’s 13th goal of the season. At 10:30 it was 4-3.

Despite a flurry of opportunities at the end of the third period and the Rangers outshooting the Attack 18-4 in the final 20 minutes, and 38-21 overall, Kitchener couldn’t find a way to extend their win-streak over Owen Sound to three, dropping the contest 4-3.

The Rangers next home game is on Friday, January 11 at 7:30 pm versus the Guelph Storm. The next road game for Kitchener is on Sunday, January 27 at 2:07 pm versus the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

Tickets still available for all regular season home games. Purchase yours in person at the Activa Box Office at The Aud or Centre in the Square Box Office, by phone (519) 578-1570 or 1-800-265-8977, or online.

Join the conversation on all things Rangers by using #RTown. You can follow the Rangers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at @OHLRangers.

Click here to view the complete game summary.

More News
Summer Update - Francesco Pinelli
22 hours ago
Summer Update - Michael Vukojevic
5 days ago
Fill The Rangers Bus In Support Of The Food Bank of Waterloo Region
5 days ago
OHL Announces Key Dates for 2020-21 Season
6 days ago
Season Ticket Holder Survey Results and Return To Play Update
6 days ago
NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Donovan Sebrango
2 weeks ago