Final: Rangers 4, Steelheads 5 (OT)

Mississauga, ON: Despite the Rangers (28-11-5-2) jumping out to a 3-0 lead after the first period and leading 4-1 going into the third, the Steelheads (21-23-2-1) came back to win the game in overtime, 5-4.

Greg Meireles, Mike Petizian, Axel Bergkvist, and Donovan Sebrango were all goalscorers on the afternoon.

Jacob Ingham stopped 25 in the loss.

Donovan Sebrango drew a hooking penalty at 6:41 of the first period. On the ensuing powerplay, Liam Hawel passed to Riley Damiani who wired a shot off the end board that went straight to Greg Meireles (23) who shot it into the back of the net to make it 1-0.

Kitchener extended their lead at 16:26 when Declan McDonnell and Mike Petizian played some give-and-go skating into the offensive end that resulted in a Petizian (14) tip of the puck past Kai Edmonds to make it 2-0.

Francesco Pinelli also picked up an assist on the goal.

Just over two minutes later, at 18:37, the Rangers found themselves on a 4-on-1 breaking into the Steelheads’ zone. The rush culminated in an Axel Bergkvist (5) goal that was assisted by Jonathan Yantsis and Pinelli to make it 3-0.

After 20 minutes, the Rangers led in shots 9-5.

Mississauga got on the board while shorthanded at 4:18 when Nicholas Canade (15) beat Jacob Ingham to cut the Kitchener lead to two, 3-1.

The Rangers restores their three-goal advantage when Donovan Sebrango (5) showed patience before uncorking a shot on Edmunds that hit him in the chest and went up, over, and into the net to make it 4-1.

The goal earned assists from Serron Noel and Hawel.

There would be no more scoring in the period. The Rangers led in shots after 40 minutes, 26-20.

The Steelheads opened up the third period scoring on a Ty Collins (10) goal through heavy traffic in front of Ingham to make it 4-2.

Just after the Rangers fifth powerplay expires, Cole Schwindt (20) came out of the box, received a pass, made a move around a Rangers defender, and went high, blocker-side to bring the Steelheads within a goal, 4-3.

With 49-seconds remaining and their net empty, Schwindt (21) received a cross-ice pass from Thomas Harley and buried it to even the game up on his second tally of the afternoon, 4-4.

At the end of regulation, the Rangers led in shots 37-29.

In overtime, a two-on-one for the Steelheads was capped off by Schwindt (22) who scored his natural hat trick to give the Steelheads the overtime win, 5-4.

Final shots on goal were 38-30.

The next Rangers home game is on Friday, January 31 at 7:30 pm versus the Owen Sound Attack. The next road game for the Rangers is on Saturday, February 1 at 7:00 pm versus the Flint Firebirds.

Tickets are available for all regular-season home games! Purchase yours in-person at The Aud or Centre in the Square Box Office, by phone (519) 578-1570 or 1-800-265-8977, or online.

Join the conversation on all things Rangers by using #RTown. You can follow the Rangers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at @OHLRangers.

More News
RANGERS VISION: Graduating Players
3 hours ago
Rangers and Sting complete trade
22 hours ago
Facility closure extension until at least May 4th
1 day ago
RANGERS VISION: Thank You, Greg Meireles
1 day ago
Jake Saves total announced for 2019/20 campaign
1 day ago
RANGERS VISION: Thank You, Jonathan Yantsis
2 days ago