Final (SO): Rangers 4, Wolves 5

Sudbury, ON: The Rangers (1-1-1-1) rounded out their first northern road trip of the season in Sudbury to play the Wolves (3-2-0-0) on Sunday afternoon.

Despite never trailing in the game, the Rangers gave up a goal late in the third period that sent the game into overtime.

Nothing was decided in overtime, which sent the game to a shootout where the Wolves scored two to the Rangers one and that gave Sudbury the win, 5-4.

Francesco Pinelli scored twice while Riley Damiani and Jonathan Yantsis added markers as well.

Lucas Pfeil made 28 saves in the overtime loss.

Kitchener opened up the scoring just 28-seconds into the game when a faceoff won in the Wolves’ defensive zone eventually led to a pass finding Riley Damiani (1) wide open at the faceoff circle. The Rangers captained roofed it over the shoulder of Mitchell Weeks to make it 1-0.

Jonathan Yantsis and Mike Petizian both earned assists on Damiani’s first.

Yantsis took a holding penalty as a Wolves player came across the Rangers defensive blueline at 6:30. While on the powerplay, on a second chance opportunity, Blake Murray (3) scored to tie the game up, 1-1.

The powerplay proved advantageous again, this time for the Rangers, when Franceso Pinelli (3) scored from the slot on assists from Damiani and Liam Hawel to put the Rangers ahead, 2-1, at 11:57.

The first period would end with the Rangers and Wolves tied in shots, 9-9.

Kitchener didn’t waste any time to add to their lead in the second period.

58-seconds into the frame, Yantsis came streaking across the front of Mitchell Weeks’ net and backhanded it past the goaltender to make it 3-1.

Damiani and Petizian earned assists on the goal.

Sudbury then pulled Weeks in favour of Christian Purboo.

At 2:20, Sudbury got one back when Quinton Byfield scored his league-leading sixth goal of the season to make it 3-2.

Just 28-seconds later, Jack Thompson went high of Lucas Pfeil and the defenseman scored to tie the game up, 3-3 less than three minutes into the second.

Despite two posts hit by the Rangers, and a great shorthanded chance executed by Damiani the was no more action on the scoreboard for either team and going into the third, they were tied 3-3.

The Rangers pulled ahead in shots, leading 22-19.

Kitchener restored their lead at 9:41 of the third period. Their co-leading goalscorer, Pinelli, netted his fourth of the season on a Wolves defensive-end giveaway that he shot past Purboo’s blocker to make it 4-3.

With just 2:27 to go in the period and right after a Wolves timeout, Shane Bulitka scored his second of the season to tie the game up, 4-4.

Neither team was able to break the deadlock as time expired in the third period and that sent the Rangers to overtime for the third time in the season’s first four games.

Neither team could find a way to score in overtime so the game went to a shootout.

Riley Damiani was the only goalscorer for the Rangers while both Quinton Byfield and Blake Murray scored for the Wolves to give the home team the win, 5-4.

Final shots on goal were 32-32.

The Rangers next game is at home on Friday, October 4 at 7:30 pm versus the Owen Sound Attack. Kitchener’s next away game is on the road on Wednesday, October 9 at 7:00 pm versus the Owen Sound Attack. 

Tickets are available for all regular-season home games! Purchase yours in person at The Aud or Centre in the Square Box Office, by phone (519) 578-1570 or 1-800-265-8977, or online.

Join the conversation on all things Rangers by using #RTown. You can follow the Rangers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at @OHLRangers.

More News
Rangers Alumni NHL Free Agency Update
2 hours ago
6,646 Meals Provided from Fill the Rangers Bus Event
2 weeks ago
Rangers 2020 NHL Draft Recap
3 weeks ago
Kitchener Rangers 2020 NHL Draft Headquarters
3 weeks ago
Kitchener Rangers launch Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC) Program
4 weeks ago
Ingham and fellow Kings prospects to begin season with DEL's Berlin Polar Bears
1 month ago