Below are the current opportunities available within the Kitchener Rangers organization.
Chief Operating Officer/OHL Governor
The Kitchener Rangers Jr. A Hockey Club (“Rangers”), is a non-profit community-based organization that is a member of the Ontario Hockey League (“OHL”) and considered a premier franchise in the Canadian Hockey League (“CHL”).
From its beginning in 1963, the Rangers have been a community-based organization focused on providing an entertaining hockey experience for our fans; a quality environment for our players to balance their goals as both students and athletes while building effective partnerships within Waterloo Region through collaborative work that makes our community a better place to live.
The Rangers are an integral part of the community as demonstrated through fan and sponsor support and strong partnerships with the City of Kitchener. This allows the organization to provide multiple improvements to the teams’ facilities for the benefit of our players and fans while also making significant contributions to sports, educational and social programs that benefit our entire community.
On behalf of our client – The Kitchener Rangers Jr. A Hockey Club, we are searching for a Chief Operating Officer.
With the recent retirement announcement of the Rangers Chief Operating Officer & Governor (“COO”) effective June 30, 2020 after 18 years in the role, the opportunity exists to attract a seasoned executive to lead the organization to the next stage of its history. The COO will be responsible for fostering the Rangers’ mission and effectively administering the operations of the organization with responsibility for a $6.0 million operating budget and the support of a 20 plus staff.
Reporting and accountable to the Board of Directors, Executive Committee, she/he is expected to play a central role in leading the development of an overall vision, strategy, long range plans and policies for the Rangers, in articulating its values, increasing its resources, in developing and monitoring operating and capital budgets, in staffing and supervising all activities of the organization and in setting and maintaining professional standards. The COO is responsible for attracting and retaining the best professional staff. The new COO will be recognized as an influential spokesperson and advocate for the core mission of the Rangers: to be a premier franchise in the Canadian Hockey League. He/she will be a builder, someone who will confidently lead the organization through its continued evolution, who first and foremost will capitalize on our existing strengths and continue to advance its operations and partner relationships.
The role requires an individual who possesses both strategic vision and operational experience, a business acumen, and dedication to the organization and its goals. The ideal candidate will be an effective communicator with a strong leadership profile and be the embodiment of someone able to balance the operational components of the Rangers while at the same time advancing its mission with external stakeholders, internally with our Board of Directors and staff and the community at large. In this regard, the individual will possess the unique combination of operational and relationship experience. He/she will undoubtedly need to be passionate about the Rangers.
- Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Kitchener Rangers Jr “A” Hockey Club
- President/ Chairman Executive Committee
- Direct Reports of: Director of Finance
- Director Game Operations and Facilities
- Director of Marketing and Communications
- Director of Corporate Partnerships and Sales
- Manager of Corporate Partnerships and Ticket Sales
- General Manager – Hockey Operations
Other key relationships:
- General Manager – The Aud
- Director of Enterprise – City of Kitchener
- OHL – League Office
- OHL Board of Governors
- Senior Management/ Decision makers major Partnerships
The position has the broad authority for making decisions that affect the general direction and operations of the Rangers, within the context of polices set by the Board of Directors.
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Develop and implement the policies and operational plans needed to execute the Rangers mission.
- Provide leadership for the execution of the Rangers strategic plan in the short-term, and the development of a new strategic plan in the longer-term.
- Act as the chief spokesperson for the Rangers from an operational view, representing the organization to the community, media, current and prospective partners/sponsors and OHL Board of Governors. The General Manager acts as the chief spokesperson for the Rangers hockey operations.
- Act as the organization’s chief advocate, assisting the General Manager with recruitment when requested.
- With senior staff, oversee Operations, Marketing strategies, Human Resources, Finances and Facilities through sound fiscal and operational leadership.
KEY NEAR-TERM PRIORITIES
- Quickly establish strong relationships with the Executive Committee and the internal team, including business staff and General Manager of Hockey Operations.
- Quickly establish a presence with external stakeholders and partners.
- Leverage his/her relationships and business contacts to assist sales team in expanding partnerships.
- Continue to develop ticket sales strategies for both near and long-term results.
- Maintain and increase awareness in the community at large and in co-operation with Kitchener Rangers Community Fund of the Rangers commitment to our community.
- Working closely with our senior staff, create a five-year strategic plan for the Rangers to improve the Rangers ability to meet the challenges facing spectator sports.
- Ensure this strategic plan is endorsed and supported by the Rangers Board and integrated/coordinated with Kitchener Rangers Community Fund.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- An accomplished executive who is credible by virtue of his/her accomplishments as an operational and strategic leader. The ideal candidate will have prior experience in operations, building relationships and business development.
- Proven management and operational success, including a strong financial acumen necessary to run a $20 million organization with a $6 million operating budget.
- Reputation as a “builder” and track record of achieving maximum results with minimum resources and “rolling up the sleeves” as required.
- Has made significant contributions to the successful pursuit of alliances and partnerships.
- Articulate, persuasive speaker – advocate of the Rangers.
- Experience in or exposure to a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of the OHL would be an asset.
- Awareness/experience with the Rangers structure would be an asset.
- Bachelors and/or Masters Degree in Business Administration would be an asset
The Kitchener Rangers Jr. A Hockey Club is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodation will be provided by both Jill Zappitelli, CHRL and the Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining your skills, experience along with salary expectations to Jill Zappitelli, President H2R Business Solutions at Jill@YourH2R.com by January 24, 2020.
We thank all those who express an interest, however only those chosen for information follow up and /or interviews will be contacted.